Reports to: Chef
Under the general supervision of the Chef, the Kitchen Assistant assists in serving seniors nutritious, good tasting and appealing meals.
This is a part time, 18 hours a week position. It is 3 days a week, Monday - Friday, from 8 am to 2 pm. The pay is $16 per hour with no benefits and there is some flexibility in setting which 3 days of the week you will work. Will need to flex up to 4 days, 24 hours during the summer. Occasional nights and weekends required.
Assists in the preparation of the meals.
Assists with planning meals far enough ahead to minimize the need for food substitutions; when substitutions are necessary helps to serve food of equivalent nutritional value.
- Assists in recipe testing, development and creation of Senior Coastsiders’ cookbook.
- Assists in preparing meals in such a way that a minimum of nutrients are lost from food that ensures food not only tastes good but looks appealing as well.
- Helps to maintain established standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation and storage as set by the local and state health departments, including storing food and supplies in appropriate areas; rotating stock; maintaining order and organized storage units. Checks and stocks weekly vendor delivery. Picks up weekly Second Harvest Food Bank delivery.
- Substitutes for the Cook in his/her absence.
- Responsible for dining room set up and break down each day.
- Attends and participates in center in-service trainings, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities as needed.
- Participates in the kitchen’s self-evaluation process and monitoring visits and complies with any applicable program improvement plans developed.
- Participates in general staff meetings and other meetings and events planned by the staff, the Executive Director and Board of Directors as requested.
- Must be able to move or lift at least 40 pounds.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
RECOMMENDED EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS
Education: It is preferred but not required that the Kitchen Assistant have training in food, nutrition, and/or food preparation and management in a Senior Services environment.
Experience: Demonstrated skills in preparing food in a nutritious, good tasting and appealing manner. Knowledge of HACCP requirements also essential. Effective oral and written communication skills as well as a great attitude is required. Must have or obtain Serv Safe certification within 90 days of hire.
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to Diane Madriz at email@example.com call (650) 726-9056 with any questions.